March is a Fenland market town and was the county town of the Isle of Ely from 1889 to 1965. The town grew by becoming an important railway centre. Like many Fenland towns, March was once an island surrounded by marshes and occupied the second largest "island" in the Great Level. March is situated on the banks of the old course of the navigable River Nene, and today mainly used by pleasure boats. Modern March lies on the course of the Fen Causeway, a Roman road, and there is evidence of Roman settlements in the area.
St Wendreda's Church - Just opposite the entrance to Spire View
St Wendreda, to whom the church is dedicated, is the town's own saint and the only known church dedication to this saint is here. She is celebrated on 22nd January. She was a daughter of the 7th-century Anglo-Saxon King Anna of East Anglia (killed 654) one of the first Christian Kings of the kingdom of East Anglia. Two of her sisters, Etheldreda and Sexburgha, who were the abbesses of Ely and Minster-in-Sheppey respectively, are better known saints.
The saint's relics were enshrined in gold in Ely Cathedral, until in 1016 they were carried off to battle in the hope they would bring victory to Edmund Ironside, the son of King Ethelred. But at the Battle of Ashingdon the army of King Canute captured the relics and he presented them to Canterbury Cathedral. In 1343 the relics were returned to March, but their final resting place is unknown.
The church is known for its magnificent double-hammer beam roof and together with 120 carved angels it is regarded as one of the best of its kind and John Betjeman described the church as "worth cycling 40 miles in a head wind to see".